Upcoming holidays:

Upcoming Holidays:
16 June 2024 - Off to Sydney for an overnight stay - seeing a show at the Opera House.
26 July 2024 - Sandy is making a quick trip to Brisbane for Dayboro State School's 150th anniversary.
19 August 2024 - Cruising from Sydney to Fremantle via Northern Australia - 18 days on the Coral Princess.
2 April 2025 - Cruise to Moreton Island on the Carnival Splendor.
10 October 2025 - Paul's 70th birthday - 3 day "Cruise to Nowhere" on the Pacific Explorer.
1 December 2025 - Cruise from Singapore to Brisbane on the Voyager of the Seas.

Wednesday 4 August 2010

3 August - a few random thoughts

I'm sitting in the hotel room in Flagstaff - it's around 7:30 am. We're all packed up and ready to go, but the bus doesn't leave until 8:30
As I said yesterday, we're off to Las Vegas today. We go to see a dinner and show tonight, and then have a full day tomorrow and tomorrow night before we leave the next morning. The Tour Director is going to give us a list of places to go, things to see etc - although it seems to me that you could probably spend a week within the block our hotel is on and still not see everything in that small part of Las Vegas, let alone the whole place.
Just as an example - I was thinking of seeing a Cirque Du Soleil show - apparently there are seven different ones on in Vegas at the moment!
I've just realised that I haven't been writing very much about the hotels we're staying in, and I want to be able to look back on this and remember, so maybe I should do a bit of a catch-up.
Los Angeles - the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. Just a normal hotel room, quite nice and with a balcony overlooking the pool. It's quite a well-known hotel, gets recommended a lot on travel websites, and we were quite happy there. Strikes me though that they are trading a lot on their name and history, and that they really do need to do some restoration and repair work around the hotel fairly soon now. Room service = really expensive!
Scottsdale: Hospitality Suites Resort. This is a newer, all suites resort. Nice and comfortable. Didn't need to deal with the front desk or other staff at all of course because the tour director checks us all in. They have a happy hour every night - free drinks of any sort for 2 hours down around the pool. And, free breakfast in their restaurant which was truly appreciated. Although on the second day I made the mistake of having French Toast because I thought some hot food might help me feel better. I didn't realise that to Americans, French Toast is sweetened, fried in lots of butter, covered in sugar after it's cooked, and served with more butter and maple syrup. That's my idea of a dessert, not breakfast.
Flagstaff: The Drury Inn. Wow, this one is lovely. Another all suites place, caters mostly to business people so it's not close to anything really exciting but we don't have any real time to spend here anyway. Another one with a happy hour every night, and also free hot food every night and free breakfast every morning. I stuck to cereal this time though!
Overall comment - the real surprise so far has been that all three rooms have had refrigerators (we stayed in some fairly fancy hotels on our last visit here and I don't think any of them did!) Also, all three have had actual bathtubs, which has been a godsend for me -when I'm sick I like to have a nice long soak and I've been able to do that in all three places so far.
On to other things - Paul and I have both had a cold. Really I shouldn't be surprised, I rarely get sick but I've caught some sort of nasty cold or flu every time I've left Australia. Paul is mostly over his, but I'm not - I've lost most of my voice today :-( However, as a result I've learned that they're nowhere near as fussy about selling cold and flu medication here as they are at home - you can buy stuff here from the supermarket that would be chemist only stuff at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment