Upcoming holidays:

Upcoming Holidays:
16 June 2024 - Off to Sydney for an overnight stay - seeing a show at the Opera House.
26 July 2024 - Sandy is making a quick trip to Brisbane for Dayboro State School's 150th anniversary.
19 August 2024 - Cruising from Sydney to Fremantle via Northern Australia - 18 days on the Coral Princess.
2 April 2025 - Cruise to Moreton Island on the Carnival Splendor.
10 October 2025 - Paul's 70th birthday - 3 day "Cruise to Nowhere" on the Pacific Explorer.
1 December 2025 - Cruise from Singapore to Brisbane on the Voyager of the Seas.

Saturday 17 July 2010

Now I'm really getting stressed

Five more days at work, 10 days altogether until we leave Canberra.
This is the point where Paul starts to get excited and I start to get uber-stressed.
I know that as long as we remember our passports, tickets and glasses, and Paul's medication, that anything else can be replaced, but I still manage to get completely stressed out anyway.
Apart from increasing stress and excitement levels though, nothing much has changed since the last post. We've bought everything we needed to buy, packed everything we can - the rest has to wait because they're clothes we wear all the time! - planned everything we feel like planning. Now we just have to get through the last week of work.
Of course, it now looks like there's one more thing to stress about. If they announce the election this weekend - as it seems they will - it's going to be on either 21/8 or 28/8. On both those days we're on the Dawn Princess, sailing the Pacific. Postal vote seems to be the option, but our last chance to organise anything like that in Australia would be 27/7 - no way are all the voting papers going to be ready by then. We might be able to vote in Los Angeles or San Francisco, but I'm completely unthrilled about the idea of spending $$$ on taxis, and losing sight-seeing time, to hunt down a place to vote. But if we don't vote, then we get to pay $$$ in fines instead. I'll have to sort this out sometime soon - the AEC will be getting a call from me next week, I reckon. Not that my vote will make the slightest bit of difference, Canberra people are grossly underrepresented in Parliament per capita. And, the Labor party could nominate a dead person for our electorate and they'd be voted in, they don't need my help. Still, it's my right and I want to vote!
On the subject of planning though, I read a fair few travel blogs and other websites, and there's this constant message that you must research every place you're going to go, and be aware of all the things you could see and do there so that you don't waste a single minute (or dollar). Gotta say, I can't see the point. It's a holiday. Almost everywhere we're going, it's the first time we've been there. They're all places that you could spend 6 months in and not come close to seeing everything, and we'll be in most of them for a day or two. By definition we're not going to see it all, and I'm happy to let the tour bus take me wherever and show me whatever. I'm pretty sure whatever I see will be interesting anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment